Sunday, April 4, 2010

Lijiang with Ritz Tours?

Hi, has anyone visited Lijiang during the Yunnan Adventure with Ritz Tours? I%26#39;ve heard mixed reviews about the destinations on this trip (even about Lijiang!) so I was hoping for some feedback of your impressions of these places:





Dali - Butterfly Mountain, Erhai Lake, Three Pagodas



Lijiang - Old Town, Black Dragon Pond, Tiger Leaping Gorge



Shangrila - Songzan Temple





I%26#39;ve been to Beijing, Shanghai, Guilin, Kunming, Suzhou, Huangzhou, Wuxi, Nanking, Guangzhou and a couple of the small cities in the surrounding areas. I really like natural and cultural sights, though I%26#39;m not as interested in things like museums and factories.





Thank you!



Lijiang with Ritz Tours?


Sorry I should be more specific. I have already read the reviews of the sights on TA. I want to know what people thought of the Ritz Tour guided trips to these destinations, since with a tour you don%26#39;t have as much flexibility/time to explore these wonders. Thanks again!



Lijiang with Ritz Tours?


I do not know anything about Ritz, but I have been to these places. Erhai Lake boat ride is a monumental waste of time, booked by all tours and taxis as they get a tremendous commission. The small temple-islands you visit are unremarkable, but have lots of things to sell you. Three Pagodas and Cangshan Mountains may take you a hour or two or all day, depending on your tastes. We spent a half day at the Three Pagodas and it is reputed to be the largest Buddhist Temple complex in China, recently rebuilt according to original plans and in sparking condition. The solitary walk from the old city of Lijiang up to Black Dragon Pond Park is wonderful...with a tour group I would imagine a completely different experience. You do not need a third party to explain these places.





I think you get the idea. Cable cars, taxis, walking and buses can get you to these worthwhile destinations, some of which are wonderful cultural and scenic sights. I would skip the tour, the electric bullhorn amongst beautiful nature, and the crowds. Do it on your own. These are relatively well traveled places with lots of bilingual help. Just have your detinations writeen in Chinese for the taxi drivers, from your guide book or your hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment