Friday, April 2, 2010

Carrying a passport

Have already read a long thread about this. I think we will leave our passports in the safe. BUT do we need to show them to change money? We don%26#39;t use them when we go to Bali to change money.





By the way, one great tip I learnt from another traveller was to scan your passport and send a copy to an email address with remote log on such as a hotmail account. This way if you lose your passport and the paper photocopy, you can find a copy in your email account. I will be doing this to all my documents such as hotel check in and etickets.



Carrying a passport


We never carry a passport in Hong Kong, but I think I read somewhere you are supposed to. I do carry a business card of the Hotel where I am staying though, so I figure the %26#39;authorities%26#39; can work out where I am staying if something happens to me.



Carrying a passport


We kept our passports in the room safe and carried our drivers licences with us. (like one does in Aust.) But we also kept photo copies of our passports(inside page only) in our luggage and at home in case of loss.



Never had any problems




You don%26#39;t need your passport to change money.



Yes, scanning your documents is a good idea. Give someone at home your email address and password also, just in case. You should have a record of your credit card numbers and phone number to ring if they get lost (so you can cancel them). A photocopy of your passport isn%26#39;t really much good for anything, but might be a little helpful if you lose your passport and go to a consulate needing help.



The other thread would have covered the topic of carrying (or not carrying) your passport in Hong Kong.




You need your passport or other identity document when changing HK$8000 or more.




We scanned our passport, reduced it to drivers licence size and laminated them and kept them in our wallet, that way you have your numbers etc if needed.



We also scanned all our credit cards, printed it and kept it separate to everything else, if we did lose them, we had all the numbers. Remember to scan the back too as it has the numbers to call if lost.



Pat




Thanks Liem %26amp; Pat





Will be saving these tips to my hong kong folder



Marian




no need to scan, just take a photo...




It was Ok to photograph the passport, but reading the numbers on the credit card with a photo was much harder and much easier to read when scanned.



I did them both.



Pat




I never carry my passport with me and leave it in the safe but a couple of times I was asked to show it when using my credit card in a large store.




Many great brains here! I learnt a lot!





My way in travelling is I will usually bring two credit cards. One carry with me and another locked in hotel%26#39;s safe. In case my wallet is stolen, I always have another card to keep me alive in a foreign country!

No comments:

Post a Comment