Sunday, April 4, 2010

Currency at Lowu?

When I was last at Lowu, the $HK and RMB were roughly in par when converted to $AU.





Now there is a fair margin between them. Any comments or advice about the best (or best value) currency for an Australian at Lowu would be appreciated.



Currency at Lowu?


I found that if you have a friend or relative who lives in Lowu or China and they have a bank account with a chinese bank, It%26#39;s better to do a money exchange with them as they seem to give the best rate. Same again if you have a friend/relative in Hong Kong.





There are money changers all over the place and you have to search for one with the best rate. There are some money changers in the Chungking Mansion in Tsim Sha Tsui HK which I found to be a reasonable rate. I did some there but most of the money was through a relative of mine.





The rate of the RMB is a bit higher the the HKD when I was there.





When I went in October 07, I had changed a few thousand AUD to HKD from St Geaorge Bank before I went as they had the best exchange rate. Don%26#39;t go to the Airports in Australia as they are the lowest rates around. Just do your homework as you are doing now.



Currency at Lowu?


I used Chinese currency. There is a bank inside of the Shangri-La hotel and i use the ATM there.




What is thye best currency to have to change to HKD or RMBI? Should I bring US cash or Euros? Also are there lots pf places in Shenzhen which would accept Travellers cheques in Canadian dollars?




If you%26#39;re from Canada, bring CAD. No point getting hit twice by the exchange rate.



Between EUR and USD I think EUR is better. The rates for USD:RMB are at an all-time low. On 19/3 the USD:RMB rate at Bank of China was only 1:6.99.




Thanks



So there is no trouble changing Canadian at hotels or money changers?



Thats better than Beijing where I could only change at selected bank of China branches.




Bank of China is foolproof. There%26#39;re no ';money changers'; like those in South-East Asia. Banks which do currency exchange might charge a service fee.




To answer my own question: RMB was preferred. Most prices were adjusted 10% to 15% up if paying in HK rather than RMB. It probably worked out the same in the end though, and both were universally accepted.




As for me, me n my HK friend exhange our USD @ the lowu stations, as soon u get out from the immigration if u take MTR, before exit u, on the left side, there%26#39;s a shop that sells wines,cigarettes n etc. the shop has like 10 or more money counter and they stamp the money so you will be save, if the shops @ lowu wouldnt accepts, i heard stories that they found counterfeit money from the tourist. the rates is very good we got 6.8 yuan for 1 USD. as other money changer would go below 6.5. so i suggest this place has the best rates in SZ.



Yes. Do exhange ur AU$ to RMB/CNY. its better and convenient.




Just use the ATM machine to get $HK. I can%26#39;t remember the service charge, from my bank, and I don%26#39;t have access to my account to look, but think it was only a couple of dollars and your bank just charges you the rate conversion, on the day you withdraw. Easy to do and you don%26#39;t feel you are getting ripped off.




Was in Shenzhen 3 weeks ago- nobody in Lowu shopping centre will exchange Aussie dollars- had to go to the bank of China behind the shangri-la rate was 6.4



In Hong Kong we were getting 7.3.



In shenzhen, if you pay by HK then yes, they are putting on a surcharge of about 10%

No comments:

Post a Comment