Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Footwear for weather

Counting down the weeks now until we arrive in HK and preparing all the little details. I have read suggestions re sneakers for walking in HK, but would like to ask about Crocs and Birkenstocks. I am not really attracted to either style but have heard many people during our summer here, rave about them.





My question is how do these shoes fair in humid weather and HK terrain? Can either of these be worn into cafe/reataurants without question from staff?



Does anyone suggest anything else that I may have missed?





I%26#39;m hoping that there is a better alternative to sneakers as they tend to get wet in humid weather, not to mention smelly.



Footwear for weather


Generally, you can put on any types of footwear you like that you find comfortable. There is little restriction from cafe or restaurant (unless for the high-class restaurants such as those in the top-rated hotels) concerning your footwear or clothing.





If you are not going to the countryside, you will mainly be walking on concrete floor. %26#39;Sandals%26#39; like Birkenstocks work fine on this type of floor if you are accustomed to the hardness of the shoes.





So if you are coming in summer, when rainfall is not uncommon, sandals of any kind might be a good choice (of course you won%26#39;t put on a new pair of them which will obviously get your feet hurt after walking).



Footwear for weather


We arrive in May.



Some shoes become quite slippery in humid weather and I wanted to be comfortable and prevent blisters from the rubbing associated with the wetness. Hope this makes sense.



When we go to the outskirts we will wear covered in sneakers but for general sightseeing would like the open style if possible.




Anyone else like to comment regarding good footwear for humidity? I don%26#39;t want blisters.




Hi travelling times,





Personally, sneakers will be a little warm unless you intend to do some jogging. Else, I%26#39;d suggest those Teva sandles. It%26#39;s comfortable and suitable for HK weather too.





Of course, its always better to bring a pair of %26#39;back up%26#39; shoes just in case you intend to walk into a posh restaurant. Else, its find if you wear either sneakers, croc or Birkenstocks.




Sports sandals are good - good comfort and treads for walking, good to keep feet cooler, and good when rains - not get soaked. :)




Thanks lifestyle.. and Bona..,





I haven%26#39;t heard of Teva before, are they easily accessible and price reasonable? Are these sports sandals? I will have to go look for them.





Still not sure about crocs as I am worried I%26#39;ll get blisters from the rubbing and Birks aren%26#39;t soft to wear. I don%26#39;t think I%26#39;ll have much time to break them in given it%26#39;s raining here. :)




Hi TT;





I personally like Columbia sportswear sandals. Usually there is not much breaking-in - - they are pretty soft to begin with and I don%26#39;t ever recall have wearing-in pains (like rubbing). BTW, you can definitely wear them in the rain - that is one great advantage of them as travel footwear. I wear them all day even when I have to jump in and out of the sea to wade back and forth to boats at beach/island destinations. They definitely can take rain well. :)






In humid weather in HK, I use Havaianas




Thank you all. I am checking all of your suggestions out. Not knowing much about any of these (and in fact I never have heard of most of these)your replies are appreciated.





Looking forward with much anticipation.




Hi Just back. I wore Aero walking shoes for the first couple of days but found my feet just got too hot and sore. Ended up wearing comfortable sandles. You walk miles and thats only in the underground. Be warned stations have multiple exits and you can easily get lost.The trains take longer to get to than the journey time, hardly any waiting time and so fast to get around the city. I dont know how handicapped peole would manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment