Monday, December 12, 2011

Wheat intolerance

Hi,





I am about to travel to Beijing and I was wondering whether Chinese Cuisine uses wheat flour? Are pancakes, dim sums, dumplings etc generally made from wheat flour or are they made of rice flour?





Thanks ;)



Wheat intolerance


You%26#39;re a coeliac, I presume. The 2nd time I went to Beijing, I was with one.



Peking duck pancakes are made of wheat flour. Dumpling skins are, as well.



Wheat intolerance


Yes, pancakes, dumplings (Baozi, jiaozi), steamed bread, and most noodles are all wheat flour. It shouldn%26#39;t be that hard to avoid wheat, however.




A friend of mine has celiac and because of this I know a majority of soy sauce has wheat added to it. Be careful becuase something may be seasoned with soy sauce and you won%26#39;t necessarily be able to tell.





You might want to bring an explaination of what you are allergic to written in Chinese. I did a quick google search and there are some sites that advise this, like this one: www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php鈥?/a>




Yes, it all has wheat flour and soy sauce. Vegemtable dishes are ok, and there are alot of those. l am coeliac and travelled to Beijing last year, l am lucky in that l can cheat a little! l did take soem skacks from home ie. musli bars and l ate a lot of fruit which is very good. Main meals were the biggest problems, but managed ok.




Thank you all so much for your advice.





Actually, I am not Coelic I do have only wheat intolerance. Thus I can eat rye, barley and oats. Only wheat is causing the problems.





Nothing is worst than having to suffer stomach problems while on holiday. However, at times it is so difficult to know what%26#39;s in what food. I guess, best thing is to avoid everything that one is not sure of. Which of course, is a pain in a backbone. Especially for some who is always open to try new foods. It%26#39;s quite boring always to eat ';safe things';. Oh well, that%26#39;s life ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment